Wanna know the secret to healthy eating? Let me let you into a little secret…it’s A LOT easier if you try to predominantly only stock the good stuff at home. If you have junk in the cupboards, its going to be very hard to say no to it. Too often we go to the cupboard for a quick browse and end up filling our faces with crap. But what if the food in the cupboard was still exciting and delicious but happened to be good for you?
I’m not saying it’s going to be easy but by stocking your fridge with the good stuff you’ll be more incline to reach for that. This will also help you prepare your meals in advance which is another important key factor in maintaining a healthy eating regime. My moto is to live a sustainable healthy lifestyle that’s easy to maintain. By stocking a healthy pantry at home it makes it a lot easier. Cooking foods from scratch in your kitchen also means you know exactly what’s gone into what you’re eating.
Anyone who knows me knows I’m a massive foodie. When someone asked me the other day at a wedding whether I was “allowed” to eat the marshmallows I was happily shoving in my face, I almost fell off my chair laughing. I firmly believe in the 80:20 rule. 80% of the time your good, eat clean, 20% you fall off the wagon and that’s ok. So as long as those naughty treats don’t turn into spiral binges then it’s fine by me. All too often we keep piling on the junk food because “it’s not going to make a difference now”. This mindset is completely floored given that the more crap you eat the harder it’s going to be to get back on that health wagon.
Here’s my go-to grocery list; a list I have compiled of the foods I regularly stock in my cupboards. It’s by no means exhaustive or exclusive to what you should buy and eat! There are no diets in my books, just eating healthy and making sure it’s darn yummy (while your at it!) so is enjoyable to eat!! It’s the biggest fail safe. Instead of depriving yourself and feeling “guilty” for eating bad foods make your everyday food exciting and tasty. Eating clean will make you crave the bad stuff less. Annnnd if you still crave those naughty treats, 20% of the time & in moderation that’s fine by me!! Too many diets focus on food elimination. Don’t know about you, but if someone tells me not to have something that makes me crave it 10 times more. These so called diets aren’t maintainable. In no time you fall off the wagon, eat a tonne of bad stuff which pretty much eradicates the work you’ve just done. Eat healthy. Work out. Be kind to your body. Treat YO self! That’s my thinking anyway 😉
This is just a list of my personal foods that I buy and find effective. Feel free to mix things up! Lots of the more expensive whole food ingredients can be bought in bulk online. Remember to read the ingredients and don’t buy a product with masses of added preservatives that you can’t pronounce on the ingredients list! Lots of brands sneak in cheeky salts and sugars so buyer beware!
Next time you’re off to the shops why don’t you try experimenting with some different food products to complement your training and help you tone what you own! Here’s the list, I’ll be sure to add to it if I think of any more!…
- Chia seeds
- Green tea
- Mixture of fruits: vary them so you don’t get bored of eating them. Berries (especially blueberries), apples, bananas, coconut, pomegranate, papaya, pineapple the list is endless! All tasty naturally sweet foods without the added preservatives
- Lots of coloured veggies: asparagus, broccoli, kale, spinach, courgette, peppers, cucumber, cauliflower, carrots etc again mix them up
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown rice / brown rice pasta
- Non fat natural Greek yoghurt, great for a mayo substitute or healthier dessert
- Nuts (e.g. Almonds, macadamias, cashews, walnuts, pecans, pine nuts)
- Nutbutters (eg. Almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter): so great for energy just don’t go too wild on the portions & watch for those added nasties!
- Meat (organic where possible): steak, lamb, turkey, chicken etc.
- Fish (organic where possible): salmon, mackerel, sardines, sea bass, tuna steak etc
- Goji berries
- Flax seeds
- Raw honey: for when your craving that sweet fix
- High cacao content chocolate: I love Willie’s cacao which 85% pure chocolate goodness!
- Coconut oil
- Almond milk (I use unsweetened Almond Breeze)
- Protein powder (I use Neat Nutrition, Organic hemp and pea protein powder)
Sending you health & happiness,